- Our catalogs are printed on paper that uses mixed recycled content.
- We are installing new energy-efficient lighting throughout our Rhode Island factory, and fluorescent lighting is already in place in all office spaces.
- We recycle just about everything that can be recycled. Tons of cardboard and paper, in addition to scrap parts and even awards that were used for engraving practice.
- We even recycle heat. We capture the heat from our die presses, filter the air and use it to heat our factories.
- I’m not sure if you know, but the satin in our ribbons originally comes from wood pulp. That makes our ribbons biodegradable.
- Finally, our largest commitment to the planet is our decision to put in a wind turbine to power our Rhode Island factory. Yes, the process has taken much longer than anticipated, but it will be installed in 2011!
We’re hoping you already know, but if you haven’t heard, today is Earth Day. Started in 1970, the day is designated to promote environmental awareness.
Here at Hodges we definitely do a few things to promote using less natural resources and making a positive impact on our local environment. I’m sure you’ve heard enough about our wind turbine, but besides that upcoming project we regularly recycle a ton of things! In the factory, all cardboard is recycled, as is the lead used to make our metal dies (the stamp used to imprint logos onto ribbon) and any incorrectly engraved silver or wood. In the office we turn off unused lighting, recycle paper, cans, and glass, and have been known to re-use office supplies multiple times. Plus, I am proud to say our ribbons are biodegradeable (not that you would be throwing them out in the first place- wink!)