I am fresh from reviewing all of the entries for the Hodges Badge Company 2011 Equestrian Catalog cover contest. Thank you to everyone that submitted an entry! With next year in mind, I want to offer you a few tips on what works (and what doesn’t). While the next deadline isn’t until October 2011, we will accept your submissions at any time during the year.
Here are the Don’ts:
- Don’t submit another company’s ribbon or trophy. The awards must be from Hodges. No exceptions.
- Don’t submit an out-of-focus award. We need to be able to read the print.
- Don’t try too hard to be cute.
- Don’t demonstrate unsafe riding. Make sure your helmet fits, and don’t stand next to a horse while barefoot.
- Don’t fail to consider your background composition- a porta-potty behind your horse, or telephone pole sprouting from the rider’s head etc.
- Don’t cut off heads or feet!
And the Dos:
- Do send photos of less frequently awarded items such as trophies, medals and plaques.
- Send entries that are different- llama or donkey shows, driving, side saddle, vaulting, sledding rallies. While I realize the majority of our customers ride English or Western, we need to represent all horse pursuits.
- Feel free to send multiple photos. If you send more than 10, please vary the composition, lighting, etc.
- Follow the rules for your discipline – helmets on in the ring, keepers in place on your bridle, etc.
- Respond when we call you! Every year at least one ‘winner’ fails to get back to us and we have to dig deeper for another photo.
- Use a fill flash on sunny days – otherwise foreheads under helmets are too dark for us to use.